Thursday, July 22, 2010

Project 18.3 of many. . .

∞ Closet Shelf ∞
My aunt Doreen and cousin Lindsay gave us a Lowes Gift card at the baby shower that my mom and Grandmumz hosted while we were in Missouri. I knew exactly what to do with it.

When we painted the baby's room I took the doors off of the closet, took the old shelving out (metal wire) and painted the inside. My idea was to create a space to put a small chest of drawers in, that could also serve as a changing table. I also wanted to put a new shelf in. Needless to say this project took longer than I expected. Turns out the walls of the closet measure differently at the base of the floor than where I put the shelves up at, so the shelf turned out a little small, luckily this is hidden by the support that I used for the shelf. Then my boards were warped - I figured this would happen when I was looking at lumber, but then everything seemed straight enough so I put the idea out of my mind and pushed on, figuring I could easily nail the shelf to the support and everything would turn out fine - which would have worked, except the shelf barely covers the support on the sides, so I couldn't really nail it down. Half a container of putty later and another coat of paint I called it done.

I think it turned out quite nicely. I think that if we have a girl I'll put a bar up under the shelf to hang her dresses on . . . otherwise, we'll go without. Might also put some more little shelves up along the sides of the closet.


2 comments:

bright lights, big cities said...

wow, that seems intense. but looks really nice!

JW said...

That shelf looks very professional. Good job!