Sunday, June 20, 2010

Project 18.2 of many . . .

∞ The Nursery AKA "Spare Oom" ∞
Why are curtains the most annoying thing in the entire world to work with? Honestly, I think I'd rather spend the day working with 13 year olds, than working with curtains. Something always goes wrong for me, and it's generally in the "putting up" department. I think I've spent too long looking at my students straight seams, because the moment I put up the sheers I could tell that they were a quarter of an inch closer to the ceiling on one side than the other - didn't even need a ruler. Guess I need to learn to "measure twice, cut once" rule with curtain rods. But I digress.

Joann's, a place which I usually hate going to, had a really big sale this weekend. Almost everything was 50% off. I went in to get a spool of pink thread and came out with bolts of fabric, curtain rods, cutting boards, batting and who knows what else. In addition to finding curtain fabric, I also found fabric to make the crib bumper and bed skirt with. . . and if it's not pattern over kill, a cushion for the toy chest as well. I don't have fabric for the quilt/blanket yet, but I'm thinking that in a land where it rarely get's below 60 degrees, that we just might not need one. Why not just use those footie pj's?

Despite all the frustration w/ the curtains, I am quite happy with how they turned out. I really love the texture and color variation in the brown fabric. I took a picture, but it really doesn't do the fabric any justice (can't believe I just said that about something that I got at Joann's)




7 comments:

amyp said...

Would you please move to Chicago already? Your talent is out of control. And so if your awesome-ness. So bottom line - I miss you. And I am IN LOVE with all of the incredible things you make.

Derick and Lisa said...

I love hanging out with 13 year olds...

Caitlyn said...

Lisa, you would. Maybe it's different when you aren't related to them. It just seems like everytime one of my siblings hits 13 and until they are about 15, that there is way too much tension.

jw said...

That's very cool how you change the paint color like that.

angi said...

Just wait till they turn 19, that's worse than 13.

bright lights, big cities said...

looking good Caitlyn! I'm not even having a baby, but I need to make a bench cushion and curtains as well. (thank for reminding me it probably why it won't get done before I leave paris!)....

...And oh uh, do I see trouble coming along once your child reaches 13... haha

mpm said...

the close-up of the fabric helps one have a better opinion of joann's. i like the fabric and design on that window.