Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday Home Projects

I've made myself a list of projects that take up an entire day. I do one project every Saturday. Last Saturday we cleaned up the front yard - after which all the leaves on our tree decided to drop for fall (I think we have the only tree that looses its leaves in the entire neighborhood). One of the projects I really was looking forward to was finishing the garden in the back. I had little hope for this one getting done because it needed a whole lot of dirt to happen and I don't like spending money on dirt. Does anyone?
Anyway, last night Kyle and I were walking back from the dog park and this guy was shoveling around some dirt in his pick-up. I decided to ask him if the dirt was coming or going and was informed that he was taking it to the dump the next morning. Short story even shorter - this morning I got a nice pile of free dirt in my back yard!! Score!

We enjoyed some nice weather in the double digits for a week or two, but the past two days have decided to go triple again. . . I decided to work outside anyway. This is me in my rock grinding gear. . . I found out rather quickly that a bathing suit top is not the best thing to wear when little bits of rock are flying at you, so I had to put a long sleeve shirt on. It actually didn't seem too hot. . .

Here are some pictures of how far all the Lowes giftcards I got for my birthday got me before the thermometer decided to get stuck on 115...

The rest are pictures of what I accomplished today. We ended up having just the perfect amount of dirt! It was dark outside when I finished, so I apologize if the photo quality is kinda shady.





Please note the awesome trellis I built out of wire. . .it reminds me of Jacob's Ladder. . . the one you make with the string game...Hopefully in a few years the bougainvillea will have matured quite nicely and will hide all the wires. I have deep grape, fushia and white planted.

3 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Stage II of this project will someday include shutters for that window, a hummingbird feeder and a flower windowbox. . .

JW said...

I made some shutters for our flip house. They are easy to make so don't buy any.

Derick and Lisa said...

LOOKS FANTASTIC! I LOVE IT! and I wish I was there in the heat to help... I REALLY REALLY HOPE we get stationed in Phoenix next! BUT there is a real posibility that he will go to weapons school after this base (WHICH IS VEGAS FOR 6 MONTHS) and vegas is Super Close to PHOENIX!