I finally finished the Claudia Bag. I don't know what it was about this piece, but I fought with it all the way to finish. Hopefully now that I have one under my belt and the patterns and samples made the next one will go more quickly. The tough part was sewing the leather - sometimes my machine liked to sew it, and sometimes it did not. The tension on the machine had to be adjusted to how sharp or semi-sharp the needle was. So, if it was sewing fine on a slightly old needle and I put a new needle in, it would stop sewing correctly. When I started making this bag I was using all the scraps from the bridesmaid dress project, so I had no idea how much fabric it had taken. Later I went back and calculated how much it had used and it was over 6 yards of silk just for the flowers! Good grief! I was really lucky to find a leather store just down the street from me (or maybe not so lucky as now hundreds upon thousands of ideas are spilling forth and I don't got the means to support the habit :/ ), without it the bag would have been all silk. . . and I think the contrast of the leather adds a lot. Now I just need someone with a nice camera to take some shots of it for me.
We've found that we are not very good at calling everyone and giving you updates on our lives. We do want you all to be up to date on the very exciting things that are happening in Arizona and in our lives - with that we dedicate this blog to you. ta dah.