Friday, October 14, 2011

Butternut Squash and Caramel Onion Galette with Toasted Pecan Topping

Made these little lovies for "Appetizers and Dessert" at RC last night. Liked them so much that I had another for breakfast this morning.




I followed this recipe over at smitten kitchen. Well, I changed a few things. I think I used more squash and cheese than the recipe called for and less onion (also, I think twice as much onion really would have overpowered the flavor of the squash) - just because that is what I had. I also used rosemary and marjoram instead of sage, and black pepper instead of cayenne pepper, because I do not have those two things.  I also garnished the top with butter roasted pecans.

As far as technique went, I used an electric blender instead of a pastry blender. Never having been a big fan of the pastry blender and not owning one in my adult life, I opted instead to hack up a bar of already frozen butter (which I also like to call luck. . . without that box of butter in my freezer this recipe would have taken me 3 hours. . . instead of 2) and toss it in my blender, then I added the "course meal" size bits to the flower/salt mixture, and viola! It was the exact same texture as what I used to get with my mom's pastry blender and it only took about 30 seconds.

I also opted to make 11 small galettes, instead of two large ones (I doubled the recipe).

I think I will make this for Thanksgiving this year, being careful to start early so that I can finish on time.

Jonathan also had butternut squash for breakfast, his was accompanied with notes of pear. OOhh, la la.


PS - Friend, in case you are wondering, these do not taste like they have vegetables in them. . . Kyle ate them (2) .

1 comment:

April @ An Urban Acre said...

omigosh I miss your RC food!! Looks amazingly yummy!