Friday, November 26, 2010

A table for ten, food for more, dinner for 2 (and 1/2).

I cooked my first turkey this year. It did not turn out the way that I had planned. The only upside to making this huge meal, is that I did figure out how to cut exactly 1/2 cup of onion.
This table can fit 10 people. . . but, we only have 4 chairs. Someday I will get around to making the benches that go with it. If you are wondering where I got the awesome table runner from, it's actually vintage obi fabric that I got from the fabulous Lisa.

Food we had:
∞ Roasted turkey with onion & apple stuffing (way overcooked, and didn't enjoy the flavor that putting the turkey in the oven at 425 to "seal in the flavor" yielded)
∞ Homemade rolls (that I accidentally cooked while keeping "warm" on the stove top. . . first place the meal started going downhill)
∞ Mash potatoes (these were good)
∞ Deviled eggs (best part of dinner)
∞ Green bean casserole (Usually so against this sort of thing, but sampled it at Trader Joes and it was delish. . . so I went with it.)
*Pumpkin pie
*Pecan pie (toss up as to which pie was better. I ate both)
Jonathan ate his right up. (This is how the turkey leg came off. . . the bird cooked a bit too long . . . But, was still taken out of the oven an hour before it was "suppose" to.) The meal was much better today. I think because there wasn't as much hype.

5 comments:

bright lights, big cities said...

happy turkey day! i've only made a whole chicken never a turkey so you're one step ahead of me. PS the meal ALWAYS taste better the day after!

Derick and Lisa said...

I am so glad you like the obi! Your meal looks delish... I will post my turkey method (well martha's... oh I wish I could hate her) it has yeilded the best bird I have ever tasted two years in a row... AND your table is AWESOME! and those chairs bring back memories... AND make a post about your painting, I want to see the finished project... unless i missed it, then I am sorry...
I LOVE YOU

Caitlyn said...

LISA!

I don't think i will ever be able to get rid of those chairs. . . they've just been through too much.

You have not missed the post about the painting. . . the painting is not done, just sitting on my wall staring at me, and telling me to cover up it's shame.

Anonymous said...

Caitlyn, Don't feel too bad about the turkey: my first turkey was dry, as have been the two since. I now stick only to fat free-range chicken roasted in melted butter. The problem is tht these days most animals are raised to be waaaay too lean, so there is a miniscule margin of error between juicy and cardboard.
Looking forward to seeing you all at Christmas! The black and white of Jonathan is wonderful (xxxooo).

Love, Des

Anonymous said...

you have to make us one of these tables when you visit. how about a table equals an industrial sewing machine?
m