Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bramble Tart with Cassis Cream

Kir. I love it. I wish I could drink it every night. Unfortunately, I have not been able to have one for about 8 months now. What this has done is left me with a bottle of creme de cassis in my refrigerator, that I've just been dying to use.
Yesterday afternoon I stumbled upon a recipe for a bramble tart with cassis cream and decided that this little bit wouldn't hurt me. This tart was so easy to make and it turned out deliciously! The recipe serves six, but I think it's more suited to 4 . . . or 1.

Pastry
2 2/3 c all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
5 tsp semolina (which I couldn't find, so I used 1 T whole wheat flour)
1 egg white

Filling
1 lb fresh blackberries (or you could use a mixture of berries. . .strawberries, raspberries. Peaches would be good)
6 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp creme de cassis
1 tbsp flour

Cassis Cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp creme de cassis
powdered sugar - I have no idea how much I used, the bag was almost empty, so I just dumped it in the blender.


Cut butter into flour and salt. Once it looks like bread crumbs, add the sugar and then enough cold water to form a dough. Chill for 30 minutes

Mix blackberries with 4 tbsp sugar and creme de cassis and flour

Preheat over to 400, place mixing bowl in freezer

Roll out the pastry into a large circle, leave the edges ragged. Sprinkle dough with flour. Pill the fruit into the center of the pastry so that there is a 2 1/2" margin around the edges. Fold the edges of the pastry to overlap and enclose the edges of the fruit. Close any gaps that you see in the pastry. Brush pastry with egg white and sprinkle the remaining sugar onto the pastry and berries. Bake for 25 minutes

In chilled bowl, whip cream until it begins to thicken, then add creme de cassis and powdered sugar until peaks are formed in the cream.

Serve tart hot with the Cassis Cream. It's also good chilled the next day :)

No comments: